Before I decided to switch to natural and cruelty-free products, I never gave much thought to the products I was using so long as they worked well for me. I love makeup and beauty products and actually have too many of them on my dresser but it didn’t really cross my mind how these products were sourced. I was totally oblivious to whether they contained ingredients that were harmful to my skin or the environment or if they were tested on animals.
Fortunately, I learned just how important it is to know the ingredients found in each product I used. I equipped myself with more information and decided to switch to natural, organic and cruelty-free products and even asked myself what took me so long to realise this. Nevertheless, I moved on and decided that the conventional products formulated with nasty ingredients were no longer interesting. If you haven’t tried using natural, organic or cruelty-free products you’ll realise that there’s plenty of options that will suit your skincare or personal care needs.
Making the switch may not seem simple; however, as my eyes were finally aware of how animals were tested and exploited especially the animal testing process involved in beauty or skincare products this is enough to make me extremely motivated to choose cruelty-free products. I was also made aware of the important contribution you make personally by using eco-friendly products. It does feel great to know that you are making your own contribution in keeping the environment safe by choosing products that are environment-friendly.
Realistic Tips before Switching to Natural and Cruelty-Free Products
Deciding to switch to organic, natural and cruelty-free products may seem daunting to some people and some may even wonder where to start. Indeed, due to the numerous brands that are currently within reach and available on retail it’s easy to get confused with what to choose. To help your transition to this exciting and wholesome new preference here are some easy-to-do tips to follow.
- Make the change gradually. It is not recommended to make a drastic change by deciding to overhaul your whole beauty or makeup collection or even the bath products you use. You can replace the products gradually after you run out of supply. It’s best to evaluate carefully which products you need to replace as soon as possible.
- Don’t be impulsive by throwing anything right away. It’s not a good idea to throw away products that you have used half-way just because they’re not cruelty-free. This is definitely not good for the environment. It would be great if you could donate those products to a friend or relative before you consider throwing them away.
- Do your research and find out which brands are natural or cruelty-free. It’s best to bookmark or print out brands that are natural or cruelty-free. This step is essential in order to maintain a smooth transition to safe and cruelty-free products. Make sure that you gather information from a trusted source.
- Consider other essential personal care products too. Don’t forget to check your essentials including toothpaste, mouthwash or dental floss because these are usually products tested on animals. If you find that your deodorant, for example, is not cruelty-free then choose a natural deodorant instead that is aluminium-free.
- Choose natural and cruelty-free makeup dupes. You may not realise this but makeup products are typically tested on animals. Choose a brand that is natural, organic and cruelty-free. If you rely on dupes because some makeup brands are too expensive, make sure they are natural and cruelty-free. There are several options out there that are inexpensive yet natural and safe to use on your skin.
- Have fun to discover new brands! One of the most exciting parts of searching for new products is discovering new brands that are kind to the environment, use non-toxic ingredients and never tested on animals. When I decided to make the switch, I was ecstatic to discover new brands that were not typically found in supermarkets and drugstores.
- Familiarise yourself with cruelty-free logos. You’ll know when products are cruelty-free when you see a bunny logo on the packaging. However, not all cruelty-free products are created equal. There are 3 types of cruelty-free bunny logos you need to look for which are: PETA Caring Consumer Bunny, Leaping Bunny and Choose Cruelty-Free Rabbit.
Natural and Cruelty-free Products that We Recommend
Dr Bronners Organic Pump Soap Lemongrass Lime 355ml – A 4-in-1 pump soap that is Certified Organic, Certified Fair Trade, Vegan Friendly and Cruelty-Free. It offers you convenience and a great everyday soap to clean your hair, hands, face and body. It’s a perfect for the whole family as it doesn’t contain preservatives or synthetic detergents. It is formulated with Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Shikakai, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Olive Oil, Organic White Grape Juice and Organic Sugar.
Black Chicken Remedies Axilla Deodorant Barrier Booster 75g – Here’s a Natural, Organic, Cruelty-free, Vegan friendly, Gluten free and Bicarb free deodorant that helps protect your underarm from irritation as well as combat bad odour effectively. Its formulation is suitable for those who have sensitive skin.
Embalm Skincare Pampering Body Lotion 250ml – A pampering lotion formulated with Cruelty-free, Organic and Vegan friendly ingredients to pamper your skin providing enough hydration to eliminate dryness and suitable for sensitive skin types. It is formulated with Australian native botanical Quandong extract which typically helps protect your skin from free radicals. It also contains Shea Butter, Cocoa and Rice Bran oil to nourish, moisturise and rejuvenate your skin giving you a soft and silky feel.
Andalou Naturals Day Cream 50ml – A very moisturising day cream that is formulated with natural and organic ingredients including Alpine Rose Stem Cells and pomegranate to hydrate and nourishes your skin at the cellular level. It is also Vegan friendly, Gluten free and Cruelty-free. If you wish to maintain a youthful appearance then this day cream should definitely be part of your skincare routine.
When I finally made the switch to Natural and Cruelty-free products, I was stoked and there’s definitely no way I’m going back to purchasing products packed with nasty ingredients. It’s a great feeling knowing that you only support products and brands that are kind to animals and the environment and of course, use products that are free of nasty and toxic ingredients.