Most people do not realise that the skin is the largest organ in the human body. And because of this
characteristic, the skin is also more prone to dangers and risks from its surroundings than other organs. Exposure to pollution, bacteria, and intense heat from the sun could strip the skin of its natural properties. One of the common problems that most people experience is dry skin.
While some people may consider dry skin as a simple issue, it actually isn’t. If not managed and treated right away, a simple dry skin can lead to more complicated conditions. But what causes dry skin? There are several possible factors that could lead to dry skin. Here are some of them:
• High Humidity – When the humidity is high, it means there is a lack of water in the air inside a particular area like a room. Under such conditions, the skin becomes dry and easily irritated. Usually, humidity can be higher than the actual temperature in a particular place or location. This happens when there is lack of moisture in the air.
• Forceful rubbing – Some people rub their skin vigorously using a towel after taking a shower. The surface of the towel will strip the skin of its moisture and the liquid that it can still absorb to remain fresh and hydrated. Instead of rubbing, gently hold the towel on the area that needs to be dried, and allow the cloth to absorb what it can.
• Very cold weather or temperature – During winter, most people experience dry skin. In fact, even the lips become cracked or chapped during this time. Under these circumstances, applying moisturisers on the skin or lip balms may be good solutions.
• Old age – This may sound harsh, but an older person will have to expect his or her skin to become dry. As a person grows older, his skin becomes less absorbent of liquid, particularly water which makes skin look supple and smooth. Consistent application of moisturisers can slow down this process.
If any of these factors are true in your case, then you better be ready to prevent getting dry skin. If you think dry skin is a simple problem, think again. Sometimes, the drying of the skin may also be a symptom of an underlying condition. Here are some of the possible things that may happen if you ignore your dry skin:
Feeling of tightness after showering
Not because you have taken a shower, it does not mean that your skin would automatically be moisturised. This particular feeling simply means that the flexibility of your skin is reduced, potentially due to dryness. Fortunately, there are moisturising lotions that can bring back lost moisture in minutes.
Redness on the skin could mean too much rubbing, or an irritation. Usually, this takes place when moisture is stripped from the skin. Redness often leads to other skin problems so once you notice it, make sure to apply some moisturiser right away.
Cracks on the skin that may bleed
Cracking on the skin is an advanced stage of dry skin. The surface of the skin is so dry that it cracks, revealing the lower layer of the skin. This cracking often takes place at the elbows and knees, as well as the lips. Once skin cracks, it becomes a painful and uncomfortable experience.
Flaking and peeling
The skin needs moisture in order to stay flexible, intact, soft and smooth to touch. However, in the event of a dry skin, top layers of the skin become so dry that they can easily be peeled. One situation where the skin flakes and peels is when it gets sunburned.
Itching or irritation
The lack of moisture in the skin pores will eventually lead to itching and irritation especially in areas where there are micro particles and bacteria. . In some cases, itching can be so severe that you could accidentally scratch deep enough to result in bleeding. In other situations, irritation may lead to other skin conditions.
These are some of the consequences of dry skin. However, dryness of the skin may also be related to other skin conditions such as eczema and dermatitis. That is why it is very important to seek medical advice right away. Most of the time, dermatologists would recommend you to use some form of moisturiser for itchy skin. Whether it would be an oil or cream, its main function is to restore the lost moisture from your skin and keep it looking fresh and feeling smooth. But here is where the problem arises – how can someone choose the best moisturiser for dry skin among all of the available products in the market today?
Before you make the move of purchasing your dry skin solution, here are some crucial qualities you should remember:
1. Substances and ingredients used – Remember that the skin moisturiser will be in direct contact with your skin. Moreover, its objective is to be absorbed by the skin in order to bring back moisture. Taking note of these things, make sure that the product does not have any artificial or chemical ingredients that may cause negative effects to your skin. Fortunately, there are various manufacturers today that focus on organic or all-natural substances that are 100% safe for the skin.
2. Credibility of manufacturer – Speaking of organic product manufacturers, there are a lot of them in both physical and online stores. The question now is whom should you trust. The answer is pretty simple: if it has been present in the last couple of years, and if it has positive reviews and feedback from consumers, then it should be a good choice. Never purchase any organic products solely due to their pricing.
3. Proven effectiveness – As mentioned above, it pays if you take a look around or conduct some online research about the product you are interested in. Read feedback from consumers and other third party sites that provide genuine reactions about the item. One place where you can get read these comments is social media websites. In some cases, you don’t even need to look far – ask your colleagues, friends or loved ones about the moisturisers they use.
4. Pricing – Do not be fooled by very cheap pricing. Why? It’s because manufacturing and producing all-organic products are not cheap. Some manufacturers even raise their own plants and herbs where they get the ingredients for certain products. Unlike products that contain synthetic or manmade ingredients, organic substances are cultivated in nature. These are naturally harvested, extracted, or grown in order to get the purest substances.
5. Supplied by a trusted seller – Consumers can directly purchase from the manufacturer if it has its own online or physical store. Unfortunately, some manufacturers do not have one, so they allow distributors and third-party sellers to offer their products to the market. There are also shops and outlets that offer such products. However, when dealing with these kinds of stores or sellers, make sure the actual manufacturer accredits them. Why? This will make sure that what they are selling you is an original product or item.
As you can see, moisturisers for dry skin are not all the same. Some are more effective while others are all promotion. In case you cannot think of any products that fulfill the qualities mentioned above, you may want to check this out.
COMVITA Natural Skintensive Cream 95g is among the best choices for skin moisturiser. What makes it stand out above the rest is that it is manufactured from certified organic products and ingredients. In contrary, some popular brands use chemicals just to add fragrances, and provide the hydration the skin needs. This simply does not cut it. One cannot risk his long-term health just to treat an urgent need of dry skin.
Aside from the Skintensive Cream, which is the overall, general-purpose skin moisturiser, COMVITA also features another product especially made for people who have other skin conditions. COMVITA Medihoney® Natural Eczema Cream 50g is for individuals who super itchy skin, and is not just caused by dry skin. Derived from organic honey, this Natural Eczema Cream can work wonders for you.
Whether you need home remedies for dry skin, or a more specific moisturiser for eczema, COMVITA has them. In addition, this manufacturer also offers several other products that cater to various needs. Founded in the United Kingdom way back in 1974, this company has managed to expand through various markets overseas due to the high end and top quality products it offers.
If you are interested in getting more information about organic moisturisers, particularly about COMVITA products, you may visit Love Thyself. Love Thyself is an online store based in Australia that promises to offer only the finest organic items and products. For the past decade, this online shop has established itself as one of the go to places for organic item lovers.