We found a very interesting article that offers a delicious and healthy alternative to bone broth.
This gut-healing vegetable broth tastes good and satisfies your palate. It is a great alternative to stocks that take hours to prepare and can be modified to suit the ingredients you have at home. The nutritional goodness is undeniably comforting.
We have been making this as the winter months have set in as a nourishing broth, a base for udon soups as well as a stock for heartier pumpkin and vegetable soups.
Read on to know how to prepare this delicious vegetable broth at home:
Ingredients to Prepare
– 12 cups of filtered water
– a tablespoon of coconut oil (or extra-virgin olive oil)
– a red onion (quartered with skin)
– a garlic bulb (smashed)
– a chilli pepper (chopped roughly with skin)
– a cup of greens (like kale or spinach)
– thumb-sized ginger (chopped roughly with skin)
– 1/2 cup of dried shiitake mushrooms
– 30 grams of dried wakame seaweed
– a tablespoon of peppercorns
– 2 tablespoons of ground turmeric
– a tablespoon of coconut aminos (can be really salty so taste before you add salt)
– a bunch of fresh coriander or any preferred herb
– 3/4 cup of mixed chopped vegetable/peelings (can use fresh mushrooms, carrot peelings, red cabbage, celery, and leeks)
1 – Prepare a large pot and add all the ingredients, then bring to a boil and simmer with the lid on for an hour.
2 – Prepare a large bowl and once all the ingredients has been cooked, strain the liquid into the bowl.
3 – You can serve it while hot and add fresh vegetables as adornments or let it cool and refrigerate to serve for later.