We currently live in a world where plastic is predominantly made and indeed it’s everywhere. Life is about making important choices and one way to save and help the environment is by reducing our plastic usage fast! It may seem overwhelming at first but practicing responsible and Eco-friendly practices is actually pretty simple, if you set your goals straight and do what you think is possible or convenient one step at a time.
Here is a list of practical things that you can do to live plastic free starting now:
- Use Reusable Shopping Bags. You can start refusing plastic at the supermarket and carry your own reusable shopping bag. There are lots of reusable tote bags that can help you carry groceries or anything you purchase. They can be easily stored inside your carry-on bag or you can keep them stored inside your car so you won’t forget to bring them in case you take an unexpected trip to the supermarket.
- Say no to bottled water. Before you leave your place, take a travel mug or stainless steel water bottle and fill it up with water. This way you can avoid buying bottled water especially when you’re on the go. Bottled water typically manufactured using plastic and it also makes use of incredible amount of resources to make them.
- Carry your own food keeper or container and reusable cup or mug. If you haven’t done this before then now’s the time to carry your own food container and reusable cup. There are stainless steel containers that are light and easy to stash inside your bag even when you’re on the go. Just simply request the food store to use your container instead of using the Styrofoam ones. This helps the environment a great deal since Styrofoam takes 500 years or even forever to decompose. Shocking isn’t it? That is why it is important to refuse these.
- Carry your own reusable utensils and drinking straws. Keep reusable utensils and drinking straws especially when you’re always on the go. Just imagine how many times you can help contribute to the environment if you stop using disposable utensils and plastic straws.
- Avoid personal care products that use plastic beads. Some personal care products like facial wash and scrubs contain tiny plastic beads or micro-beads that are hard to filter and unfortunately make their way into our water systems and into our oceans. These plastic beads are made up of polyethylene so if you happen to come across products with this as one of its ingredient, it’s better to avoid it.
- Buy products in biodegradable or reusable containers. This is a difficult one as majority of products being sold in the market are housed in non-biodegradable containers. But if you truly care for the environment, purchase products from companies that use eco-friendly containers. Although, some companies use greenwashing to trick consumers so it’s important to be vigilant and checking for eco certifications will you determine whether they are eco-friendly or not.
- Start using plastic free or washable hygiene products. Using washable and plastic free hygiene products or menstrual cups instead of the conventional feminine pads, tampons or sanitary napkins can contribute tremendously in reducing waste. Hygiene products continue to be a huge problem in landfills and we need to start thinking more about switching to eco-friendly means to help our environment in any way we can.
- Avoid Plastic Food Wraps and switch to natural Beeswax coated food wraps. Let’s stop using plastic cling wrap for wrap our food with and instead use 100% cotton made beeswax food wrap as an environment friendly alternative.
With these simple and doable plastic free tips you can start contributing tremendously for a safer and better environment. As we continue to support a plastic free lifestyle, we encourage you to accept this challenge and start doing any of these steps that you think is possible to do at the present. You can start by taking a look at our eco-friendly and biodegradable day-to-day products that you can purchase if you still haven’t made that switch to plastic-free.
TOM Organic – Tampons Mini (16 Pack)
Beeutiful – Swedish Dishcloth – Eco World
2 x PearlBar – Bamboo Toothbrush Medium