Author: Christelle Tait, CEO botanicES (www.botanices.com)
A recipe for skincare success
Do you know what ingredients are in your skincare products? We’re accustomed to looking at what goes into our food, but as the largest organ of our body absorbing lotions every day, our skin deserves the best ingredients also!
We’ve compiled a list to help you know just what’s in your skincare products. Share it around!
- Order – Skincare labels list the largest quantity of ingredients in descending order, so Aqua (water) and Cetearyl Alcohol which often form the basis of the products will be listed first. This is handy to know because if a brand promotes it has, say, Coconut Oil, but it’s the last ingredient on the list, you know there’s not much of it in there!
- Terminology – Did you know the scientific name must be listed instead of the general term? We’ve provided a brief translation below to help understand what’s what.
- Does your skincare ingredients label look this good?
- Glucoside – a powerful combination of vitamin C and glucose
- Glycerin– a combination that can be made from natural products or synthesised to attract water to skin
- Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil – also known as Jojoba – an antioxidant powerhouse!
- Capric/Caprylic Triglyceride a safe oil that has been created through chemical reactions
- Cocos Nucifera Oil – or as we know it, coconut oil – a moisturising and cooling ingredient with high fat content that can help with problem skin
- Stearic Acid – naturally occurs in the oils of many plants and animals
- Coffee Arabica – coffee! This is what gives botanicES its ultra-hydrating effects
- Phenoxyethanol- helps prolong the shelf life of your products
- Tocopherol – another word that sounds kind of nasty but is actually just the skin conditioning Vitamin E!
- Ethylhexylglycerin – a preservative to help keep natural ingredients from spoiling
- Skincare ingredients that you want to stay away from
- Parabens – this is a widely used preservative but there is some concern about the role they play as a carcinogenic. botanicES chooses to include NO parabens in its products.
- Palm Oil – another questionable ingredient, largely due to the unsustainable manner in which it is sourced.
- Petrochemicals – another ingredient suspected by some to be carcinogenic.
- Synthetic Fragrance – Companies use manufactured fragrances from coal or petroleum because it is cheaper than the real thing. At botanicES, we let our natural products provide their own subtle scent!
- Read the application – you may think skincare products just need to be rubbed in, but application guidelines can differ between brands and are important to read.
Forget the nasties and treat the skin you’re in with natural Australian ingredients.
You will also get a FREE botanicES sample if your Love Thyself order includes any botanicES product! (while sample stocks last).